Community Resources due to COVID-19

Douglas County is actively working together as a community to provide services and information. This webpage acts as a resource hub of information for families, businesses, food, health care and many others. More information will continue to be added as it becomes available. 

Listed below is vaccine information and available resources in and around Douglas County:

COVID-19 Vaccine for Quad-County Residents
Nevadans 16 and older are now eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine. Events will continuously be added as vaccines becomes available in the region. We encourage residents to continue to check the website for new appointment openings. To make an appointment click here.

Need help scheduling a vaccine appointment? For directions and/or assistance, click here

Should you require technical assistance scheduling an appointment, or don't have email or internet access, or require transportation to/from a vaccine appointment, you can call the Douglas County Community & Senior Center at (775) 782-5500 ext. 3. To view the press release with more detailed information, click here or visit

Local Pharmacies are offering COVID-19 vaccine appointments.
- To schedule online at Smith's, please click here
- To schedule online at Walgreens, please click here
- To schedule online at Walmart, please click here


Business Resource Guide
SBA Disaster Assistance for businesses and non-profits
For more information and resources, visit the Douglas County Economic Development/Vitality webpage.
- No cost PPE and sanitation products for businesses and non-profits. To learn more click here, or to request your products click here

Carson City Health and Human Services
For health information and updates, visit Carson City Health and Human Services, the managing local health authority for Douglas County, developed a public hotline 775-434-1988, devoted to keeping the community up-to-date and informed on COVID-19. The line will be staffed Monday-Friday 8:30am-4:30pm to answer questions and concerns.
- COVID-19 Vaccine Information, click here
- Free Drive-Thru Community Based Testing information, click here.


- Carson Valley Chamber of Commerce | COVID-19 business resources and recovery or list of restaurants available for take out/delivery
- Tahoe Chamber | COVID-19 Business Resource Hub or list of restaurants available for local take out/delivery

- Guidance on Governor's Directive 024, masks in public places
- To find all previous directives, visit 

Douglas County School District 

- Douglas County School District Website, click here.

- Tahoe Prosperity Center
- Unemployment | To file an unemployment claim, visit Nevada's Unemployment Insurance and file for "social distancing". Due to the high call volume, applicants are being asked to complete the unemployment process online.
- Welfare | To apply for welfare services through the Department of Health and Human Services Division of Welfare and Supportive Services which provides food assistance (SNAP and WIC) cash assistance (TANF), medical and child care assistance through Access Nevada. Automated voice instructions are provided in both English and Spanish. Contact information: Northern Nevada Offices 775-684-7200.

Available Restaurants for Take Out/Delivery in Carson Valley
Available Restaurants for Take Out/Delivery in Lake Tahoe
Backpack Buddies | Food bags of non-perishable food for seven meals to families with school children are available at 1251 Waterloo Lane, Gardnerville.
Carson Valley Community Food Closet | They are open for regular service, but will be asking customers to remain in their cars while volunteers gather food. You don't have to be a current recipient to get food.
FISH Ranchos Family Services | A food pantry with other supplies is available to anyone in need at 921 Mitch Drive, Gardnerville.
Meals on Wheels | This service is continuing, but with modified safety practices in place. Extended enrollment in that program is being encouraged for all those that normally attend congregate dining or are otherwise concerned about having access to prepared food. Seniors wishing to receive this service are asked to contact the Senior Center at (775) 782-5500 ext. 1 to arrange drive up food pick up at the center or home delivery. Drive up food delivery will be available at the Douglas County Senior Center, 1329 Waterloo Lane, Gardnerville, Monday-Friday between 11am and 1pm. 
Partnership Douglas County | They provide a full list of stores on their website that are offering special hours to seniors and/or vulnerable populations.

Eviction Press Release from the Governor's Office
Guidance for Landlords
- Home Owners that can’t make their full monthly payments should contact their mortgage servicer online, in writing or over the phone. When requesting forbearance, keep in mind that you may receive a quicker response online or by mail, and that you don’t need to prove that you lost your income to qualify. You can consider home refinancing or pursue a loan modification that changes the terms of your home loan. Lenders should not require a lump sum payment at the end of the forbearance period: borrowers with loans guaranteed by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are not required to pay all the missed payments at the end of the forbearance period. If the hardship has been resolved, the servicer should work with the borrower to set up a repayment plan, modify the loan so the borrower's payments are added to the end of the mortgage, or set up a modification that reduces the borrower's monthly mortgage payment.
- Renters
 concerned about being able to pay rent can work with their landlord or management company to see what options are available. Many landlords are working with tenants on rent payment flexibility during the shutdown. To qualify for rental assistance, you may need a letter of nonpayment from your landlord. For assistance in paying your rent, contact the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development at or If you need legal assistance with eviction issues, legal aid providers are available on a sliding scale so that you pay what you can afford.
Nevada Rural Housing Authority (NRHA) has announced its COVID-19 Emergency Assistance Program, which provides one-time funding to rural Nevada residents experiencing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The program provides financial assistance to qualifying individuals who are falling behind on their rent, mortgage or utilities. The Program also gives financial aid to individuals having trouble paying for groceries and household supplies that are necessary to maintain safety and well-being.
The Salvation Army can help with rent or mortgage and utility bills due to COVID-19 on a first come, first served basis. Call (775) 887-9120 Ext. 1 to apply.

NV Health Response 
- To inform Nevadans statewide, the Nevada Department of Health and Human Services (DHSS) and the Governor's Office created the website to better share information and resources as it pertains to the current status of the coronavirus (COVID-19) and its impact within the state of Nevada. In an effort to reach as many people as possible, the Twitter account @NVHealthRespon1 was created to serve Nevadans and keep all the latest information in one central location.

Things To Do 

- Creativity is Not Cancelled | This is a difficult time for us all, but also a time that can be seized as an opportunity to evaluate what is important. The 'I'm Staying Home For' graphic was created for you in hope that it would encourage conversations about why you are staying home. We hope you enjoy this fun activity. I'm Staying Home For PDF

- Douglas County Public Library | In response to the increase in local COVID-19 transmission and the Governor's Statewide Pause for Nevada, the Library buildings will be closed to the public for browsing beginning December 7th to protect the health and safety of the public and staff. Curbside service is available, call 775-782-9841. 
Patrons are encouraged to take advantage of the library's many electronic resources and downloadable content available through the library's website.

- Go Outside | All of Douglas County's parks are open for the public to enjoy. You can still practice social distancing by staying at least 6 feet away from each other.

- Grow Your Own, Nevada! | Learn the secrets of high desert gardening. University of Nevada, Reno Extensions is offering free online courses! Go to to view the schedule and register for the classes you want to attend online.

Trail Guide

Testing Information
- Drive-Thru Community Based Testing conducted by Carson City Health and Human Services
To be tested here, an individual must reside in Carson City, Douglas, Lyon, or Storey counties. The test is free and no appointment is required. Testing will occur periodically, dates and locations will be announced as they become available. To view the current Community Based Testing schedule, click here
- Barton Health 24/7 COVID-19 Clinical Health Line (530) 600-1999
- Carson Valley Medical Center COVID-19 Screening Clinic (775) 782-1508

- Charter Communications (Spectrum) won't terminate service for residential or small business customers who face difficult economic circumstances related to the COVID-19 pandemic. They won't charge late fees for those customers facing difficult economic circumstances related to the pandemic. For more information, visit their website.
- Energy Assistance Program for Northern Nevada offers help with utility bills. Applications can be provided by emailing or by calling 775-684-0731.
- Gardnerville Water will suspend disconnects for non-payments for customers directly impacted by COVID-19. Late fees for customers who experience financial hardships related to COVID-19 or are unable to pay due to self-isolation are waived. 
- NV Energy will suspend disconnects for non-payment for customers directly impacted by this crisis. They will also waive their late fees and deposits for customers who experience financial hardships related to COVID-19, or are unable to pay due to self-isolation. Please contact their customer care center to make alternative payment arrangements if you are directly impacted by the COVID-19 threat at (775) 834-4444. 
- Southwest Gas has a flexible payment option in place to help customers experiencing financial hardships related to COVID-19. Their website and mobile app will give you the ability to manage your account from the comfort of your home without needing to visit their payment offices in person. 

VA Hospital | The VA Hospital in Reno and its primary care clinics are open but are checking patients for symptoms at the entrances. Many appointments have been changed to telephone. Make sure to use secure messaging or call their call center at 775-782-5265 to get in touch with your provider. Any veteran with symptoms such as fever, cough, or shortness of breath should immediately contact their local VA facility by telephone if possible.
PenFed Foundation COVID-19 Emergency Financial Relief Program | The PenFed Foundation COVID-19 Emergency Financial Relief Program was created to provide financial assistance to all Veterans, active military service members, and those currently serving in the Reserves and the National Guard who are experiencing a financial setback due to the negative economic effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. The grant amount will support 1 month of payment up to $1500 in the following areas:
-Auto Loan/Lease
-Utilities (Electric, Water, Heat)
*All checks will be sent directly to the creditor or landlord after the grant is approved. The Foundation can only support one emergency financial request per household.
Link to Apply:

FAQ: How is the COVID Vaccine being rolled out in Douglas County?
Carson City Health and Human Services and the Quad-County Public Health Preparedness Program have been working with state and local partners to plan for the distribution of the COVID-19 vaccine. To view detailed information on the Quad-County COVID-19 Vaccine Roll Out webpage, click here

FAQ: Is the Community Center taking donations?

Donations can be delivered to the Community & Senior Center on Waterloo Lane by the side entrance patio door of the Senior Center, on the south side of the building. Donations will be accepted between 8am and 5pm Monday through Friday. At this time Community Services are requesting donations of much needed items:
- Hand Sanitizer
- Toilet Paper
- Distilled water for usage in oxygen supply equipment
- Disinfectant/Cleaning Wipes
- Disposable face masks
- Canned food and nonperishable food items
- Games/Puzzles

FAQ: How do I file a complaint?
To file a complaint about a business that is open that should not be or an essential business that's allowed to be open, but not adhering to the PPE or social distancing, you can contact:
1. The Nevada Health Response team complaint phone line (775) 688-3700.
2. Visit the Nevada Office of Consumer Affairs under Department of Business and Industry or call their Carson City office at 1-844-594-7275.

*This webpage is subject to change and will be updated as needed